The National Institute of Health in Kosovo has officially published the preliminary tests of drinking water in Dreçan which is suspected to have been the cause of poisoning of over 1500 citizens.
According to the report, it is reported that the presence of a bacterium that has caused water contamination has been found.
Authorities in Kosovo are currently conducting other tests to identify other bacteria and find a way to fight the epidemic.
“In the water samples taken on 12.072021 from the region of Deçan, after cultivation in nutrient media through the technique of identification with MALDI-ToF in the laboratories of NIPHK Prishtina, some bacteria have been identified that can give an indication for contamination of drinking water. Microbiological examinations in the samples received from patients with signs of gastrointestinal tract infection are continuing to detect various viral, bacterial and parasitic pathogens “- it is said in the notification of NIPHK.
On July 11, 2021 by the Director of QKMF in the municipality of Deçan it was announced that a number of residents have sought medical assistance in QKMF Deçan with health complaints, diarrhea and vomiting. Immediately after receiving the news in the field, the teams of the Regional Center of Public Health in Peja came out and took samples of drinking water from the water supply network, which supplies these villages with drinking water.
During the day, in coordination with the Ministry of Health, all necessary measures have been taken for field research and identification of the source of infection. Physico-chemical and microbiological analyzes were performed after water sampling. These analyzes have resulted in permissible limits in accordance with the parameters set out in AI 16/2012. The results of the analyzes proved that there is no residual chlorine residue while the microbiological analyzes of the water met the drinking water standards AI 16/2012.
Meanwhile, in the PSC institutions in Deçan, medical assistance was offered to all affected citizens. Laboratory research of the causative agent has continued in the field and in the laboratories of Microbiology and QLT in NIPHK.
In the water samples taken on 12.07.2021 from the region of Deçan, after cultivation in nutrient media through the technique of identification with MALDI-ToF in the laboratories of NIPHK Prishtina, some bacteria have been identified that may indicate water contamination. drinking. Microbiological examinations in samples received from patients with signs of gastrointestinal tract infection are ongoing for the detection of various viral, bacterial and parasitic pathogens.
NIPHK teams from all regions of Kosovo continue to work in the field, working intensively to find the cause of the epidemic. The epidemiological situation and sanitation are under constant control, by the care teams of the National Institute and any change in the epidemiological situation will result in new recommendations.
- Increase the control of the Sanitary and Health Inspection to increase the level of case reporting and the accuracy of patient data;
2. Increase the control of the Sanitary and Environmental Inspection in identifying illegal connections to the water supply network;
3. In the absence of water from the water supply network to provide hygienic drinking water from the cisterns of the municipal water company, until the normalization of the situation in all villages of the municipality of Deçan, regardless of whether or not they have suspicious cases with gastrointestinal symptoms ;
4. Supplying residents with bottled water for drinking and food preparation;
5. After returning the water to the network, it is recommended that the water be used only for household and hygiene until the new recommendation;
6. The public water company should strengthen the control and regularly disinfect the water and increase the inspection of water resources, the control of catchments and water wells and in each individual case to intervene immediately as needed;
7. The water supply company should supply the citizens with hygienic water for regular drinking, to prevent contamination and to prevent water epidemics;
8. Regional water supply teams to unblock the sewerage junctions, to find weak points in the network, where the water supply system mixes with the sewerage and septic tanks;
9. Strictly prohibit the connection of wells to the water supply network;
10. Provide the necessary assistance to all sick patients.